For everything there is a first time.
To write things about yourself is challenging, but i do like a challenge once in a while. So I wrote down the 7 first times in my life as far as I can remember them.
- My first puppy dog. When i reached the respectable age of 4 years my parents thought it was nice to have a dog. So a small puppy entered my life. I carried that poor little ball of fur everywhere and put it on everything I could reach. Until the moment i dragged the pup on top of the radiator as I did not notice the heating was on. I still feel very sorry and really guilty for putting the pup there.
- My first bike ride on my own. My parents had a snack bar somewhere in the east of The Netherlands. As they had to work many hours per day to manage through life, I had to find out a lot of things myself. Without side wheels. Without any help from my parents. In the middle of a very busy shopping street where people where so nice to jump aside as I was using the entire width of the walking path with my bike. Feet, toes and legs were not safe that particular day, but as it happens with little kids. You get away with everything and people find small kids adorable ;-).
- My first glass of 7up. Although my mum made the mistake of mixing it up with Tonic. It looks the same but it tastes terrible for a 6 year old kid. I took 1 zip and turned the whole glass up side down on the table. I guess my mum was not happy with that moment.
- My first day in high school I was so proud in the morning and after this first day when I finally was released from it, I was so disappointed. This is not what I expected. Used to the time off on Wednesday afternoon. Lots of time to play around. It was all gone. Did not wanted to go the day after. My dad brought me to school that day and it took me a long time to accept all these changes.
- The first time AND THE LAST TIME I had to repeat a year at school. After 4 years of high school i managed to survive and partied in the 5th year all year long. I was around 17 and did not put any or enough effort in school at all. It went so easy the previous years, so I was full of confidence I could do this all the time. I could not have been more wrong. although the next year was easy again because I knew many things already and had another year of partying. Without repetition this time 😉
- My first serious relationship. I was probably late with discovering girls in a way different then studying together or seeing them as i saw all my friends. They are different. What a big surprise. A whole new world opened up for me. Another year of partying, but now with an extra dimension. Strangely it did not effect my graduation year. So at the age of 19 I graduated, had a girlfriend and explored the big world by going to the university.
- First time living on my own. When you live with your parents it is like a dream come true. Fantasies about setting your own rules, going to a bar whenever you wanted, eat what ever you want and sleep whenever you want. So I did. At the same time it comes with great responsibility. What?? Do I have to pay rent? O wait, my dad paid it for me. Do I have to prepare my own food? Is everything so expensive? As my allowance was not that big as in my imagination I couldn’t afford going out every day. Or eat whatever I wanted. This all changed when I got my first weekend job 😉
I guess I could make this into a list going on endless. It was easier than I thought. Every first time is great. Even if the experience is not that positive, I learned from it and it made me the person I am today.